Care of Mothers & Babies: In the Hospital
This introductory course to mother/baby assessment and care is designed to prepare the nurse with basic knowledge for care during the first 48 hours after delivery. Topics include maternal assessment and physiology, newborn assessment and physiology, safety and security, support of the breastfeeding or bottle-feeding mother-baby dyad, and fulfilling initial education needs for the new family.
- Discuss the nursing process related to maternal care in the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Discuss the nursing process related to newborn care in the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Describe the nursing process related to care of the family experiencing an unexpected outcome of pregnancy.
- Describe basic guidelines for assisting mothers with breastfeeding and bottle-feeding.
- Describe educational needs for the new family in the immediate postpartum period.
- Discuss maintaining the safety and security in the hospital for mothers & babies.
Contact Hours: 6.0.
Premier Health is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91)
This activity is jointly provided by Premier Health & PCEO.
Faculty: Experienced mother/baby nurses
Target Audience: Orientees to maternity nursing, cross-training personnel and staff interested in mother/baby care.
Minimum Attendance: 5
Dates & Locations:
- September 15th Upper Valley Medical Center-POB 1&2